If you have been told you have ADD or ADHD do not assume this is a correct or accurate description of you. It is just a label. The fact is that you may just have a mind that moves very quickly, can multi-task and is short on attention span. Don’t stress about this
Just because your mind works this way doesn’t mean you have a problem. The key to all personal development is to develop skills for being more effective. With this in mind here are some suggestions for getting more focused and extending you attention span.
- If you are “messy” once an hour take 10 pieces of paper or items from your pile, and put them in a labeled box or a file. In 8 hour that will be 80 items. Don’t put new items on your piles of stuff. In time the piles will disappear.
- Put bills/appointments on a calendar and check that calendar every morning and evening.
- Forgive someone. It will free your mind and create new space for ideas more important than grudges and resentment.
- Say you’re sorry, confess to transgressions, and make amends when possible.
- Reduce a big project to small steps.
- If you have a broken appliance fix it with 30 days or throw it out.
- Go into your desk drawer/closet/cabinets/garage and organize the chaos 10 pieces at a time.
- Make “to do” lists.
- Meditate for 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes before you go to sleep at night
- Get a massage at least once a week. Massage can calm the mind and help empty out negative and destructive thoughts.
This blog is an extract from one of my Lifehack and game thinking books.
Get 100s of Lifehack tips, shortcuts and strategies in my new Ebook.
The Softcover version is available at:
Lewis Harrison – The Lifehack Guru (also known as the RealUGuru), is a writer, mentor, success and wealth coach, content-rich, motivational speaker, and an entrepreneur specializing in problem solving, troubleshooting and strategizing based on game thinking, applied game theory and Game Thinking.
He is the author of over twenty-two books published in five languages including
How to Hack Your Life Through Game Thinking
Don’t forget to tune to the “Life Hack Guru Radio Show every Thursday 4-6 PM EST at WIOX 91.3 FM or on your smart device at WIOXRadio.org.
WIOX is a diverse station that broadcasts original programming including presentation from NPR, the BBC, Democracy Now etc.
If you are interested in business success in the 21st Century in the arts or in any other endeavor you need to read Lewis’ recently published business books.
You can find books on game theory, and business success here:
This course and all the offerings on http://www.RealUGuru.com focus on the application of applied game thinking, gamification, decision science, positive psychology, happiness, and visionary thinking to solve basic, complex and extreme problems. He is the creator of a free course on business success and human potential.
Here is a short interview with Lewis;
Find new hacks daily the Lifehack Guru’s Blog at http://www.TheLifeHackGuru
If you own a company consider our stress management lifehacks. Lewis Harrison’s company www.eventschairmassage.com offers Corporate chair massage to meeting planners, event planners, association meetings and trade shows. He also offers these stress management and onsite massage services in NYC, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago, Dallas, Greensboro, Columbus Ohio and many other cities across the United States through www.NoStressSpeaker.com.